If you struggle with dark spots and dark parches on your face, it is good to know that they can be lightened and even made invisible. Such face marks are usually caused by secretion of melanin on the skin.
When skin is exposed to the sun, it causes an increase in the production of cells known as melanocytes that increase melanin in the skin, thus turning the skin darker. These dark skin patches are known as brown spots, age spots, dark spots, sun spots and liver spots.
The spots are usually harmless, but many consider them unattractive. To lighten brown spots, you can try a few easy and natural home treatments.
Here are ten easy and effective ways to do that:
Because lemon has vitamin C, it can lighten dark spots on your face. You will need only two ingredients: lemon juice and a cotton ball.
Apply some lemon juice on a cotton ball and rub it directly on the affected area on your skin. Let it dry and then rinse off with water.
Keep applying this for minimum two weeks in order to get the wanted result.
Moreover, if you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with water, rosewater, or honey. Also, you can use lime juice instead lemon juice.
Buttermilk, just like lemon juice can lighten dark spots, without burning or irritating your skin. It is the lactic acid that helps you brighten your skin. Also, you can use milk instead of buttermilk.
- Add 4 teaspoons of buttermilk in a bowl and add 2 teaspoons of fresh tomato juice. Mix well these ingredients and apply to your face. Let it stay for 15 minutes and rinse it off with warm water.
If you want to exfoliate your skin, oatmeal powder can serve you well. Apply an oatmeal mask on your face and neck to eliminate dead skin and black spots.
- Grind ½ cup of rolled oats. Add 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice and make a paste. Scrub it on your skin and then rinse off with warm water.
Do this once or twice weekly.
Soak 8-10 almonds in milk overnight. In the morning peel their skin and grind the almonds. Then, add one teaspoon of sandalwood powder and ½ teaspoon of honey in it. Mix the ingredients and prepare a paste.
Apply the paste on your face and let it sit for around 20 minutes. Wash it off at the end.
This ingredient is excellent for removing spots.
You need 1 tablespoon of sandal powder, 1 tablespoon of glycerin and 3 tablespoons of rose water. You can exchange rosewater with milk if you want. Mix the ingredients and make a paste.
Apply the paste on the affected area and let it sit for a few minutes. Wash it off with warm water.
Use this paste every day for best results.
In order to remove black spots or dark patches, there are two ways of applying potatoes:
- After you slice a potato, place it directly on the black spots. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse your face with lukewarm water.
- The second option is face mask by mixing grated potato and honey.
- Apply Aloe Vera on the black spots. Massage the area gently for a few minutes.
Apply this twice daily for quick results.
Prepare a thick paste of turmeric, milk and lemon juice. Apply it on the affected area on your skin. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
Another option is making a paste of turmeric, honey, and olive oil. Massage it gently on the affected area. Let it dry and then wash with water.
Papaya’s enzymes help you clean your skin and decrease the appearance of black spots. Papain is the enzyme in papayas that exfoliates the skin and makes your skin glow. You can use papaya in two ways:
- Place the pulp of papaya on your skin and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Grate a green papaya and combine it with limejuice. Apply it on your spots and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Extract the juice from an onion with a juicer, blender or grater. It can be applied in these two ways:
- Soak a cotton swab in the onion juice and dab it on the affected skin area. Let it dry naturally.
- The second option is applying a mixture of onion juice and 2 tablespoons of honey on the spots for around 20 minutes. Add some vinegar in the mixture if you have oily skin.