If you’re trying to find a remedy for dry, rough feet, you don’t have to look any further than your kitchen. After a summer of running around barefoot, lots of us could use a soothing foot soak. Alternately, we can also use a beautifying foot treatment after a long winter; a little extra care can be a big confidence boost when we’re ready once again to bare our feet to the world.
For this impressive trick you will need milk, baking soda and a bowl that you don’t mind soaking your feet in. It’s also a good idea to have a towel handy to clean up any spills.
1. Warm up two to four cups of milk. You can heat the milk on the stovetop or in the microwave; it doesn’t matter. Put the heated milk in a bowl that’s large enough to accommodate your feet.
2. Place the bowl of milk on the ground and your feet into the bowl. Let them soak for about five minutes. Relax and enjoy the soothing, warm foot bath while the milk works its magic. Milk contains lactic acid that actually is an active ingredient in a lot of very effective — and expensive — moisturizers. The milk helps to soften the skin and provide nutrients. Additionally, the lactic acid it contains acts as an exfoliator. Think of lactic acid as milk’s version of those tiny fish you see at fish pedicure spas.
3. After five minutes of soaking, take some baking soda and rub it all over your feet. Baking soda is an incredible exfoliator that will help to slough off dead skin and soften any calluses you may have.
4. Soak your feet in the milk for another five minutes.
5. Rinse your feet and dry them with a towel. You’re done!
In the video below, Tabitha Blue from Kitchen Wise gives a step-by-step beauty demonstration on how to make the foot bath: